The Australian government has made a proposal of new Australian work visas which is scheduled to be implemented on the 19th November 2016 – subject to the Governor-General’s approval.
New Australian Work Visas
- Subclass 400 Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa
- Subclass 403 Temporary Work (International Relations) visa
- Subclass 407 Training visa; and the
- Subclass 408 Temporary Activity visa
Through this new framework, submitting an application for a temporary visa is going to be made much easier. It is going to reduce red tape for industry, business, and individuals, by getting rid of requirements for sponsorship and nomination for specific short stay pursuits.
Who Can Apply For This Visa
This ultimately means that those who are going to apply will be:
- able to submit their visa applications on the internet through ImmiAccount
- a single sponsorship (for the temporary activities sponsor) will be able to replace 6 sponsorship types that we are still using today. They are: long stay activity, training and research, special programme, entertainment, professional development, and super-yacht crew).
The new visa subclasses, starting 19 November, are going to allow applicants to enter the country for the purpose of temporary work or a specific activity.
Subclass 400 Visa Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist)
The Subclass 400 visa Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) is going to be for those who would like to come to Australia on a temporary basis to:
- take on short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work; or to
- take part in an activity or work that is related to the interests of Australia, in limited circumstances
Subclass 403 Temporary Work (International Relations) Visa
The Subclass 403 Temporary Work (International Relations) visa is going to be for those who would like to come to Australia on a temporary basis:
- related to a bilateral agreement
- to be a representative of a foreign government, or to be a teacher of a foreign language in an Australian school
- to take on full-time domestic work for a diplomat
- as an individual with statutory privileges and immunities; or
- to be a participant in the Seasonal Worker Programme.
Subclass 407 Training Visa
The Subclass 407 Training visa is going to be for those who would like to come to Australia on a temporary basis to take part in occupational training or be a part of professional development activities which are classroom based.
Subclass 408 Temporary Activity Visa
The Subclass 408 Temporary Activity visa is going to be for those who would like to come to Australia on a temporary basis so that they can:
- be a part of the entertainment industry
- become participants in a non-ongoing cultural or social activity, as invited by an Australian organisation
- participate or observe as an academic in a research project
- take part in full-time religious work
- be a part of a special programme for the enhancement of international relations and cultural exchange
- be a part of high-level sports (this includes training)
- work under a staff exchange arrangement in a skilled position
- be a part of an event that is endorsed by the Australian government
- work as a crew member of a superyacht
- take on full-time domestic work in a certain senior foreign executive’s household
Find more information on visas for Australia